Anguilla Local News

Anguilla has a colourful new building in a tropical style, and it serves food in a Caribe Mediterranean style. . . .

[Click to enlarge]
 March 15, 1999 - Site Map - Click to enlarge pictures

"La Veranda" Restaurant

[Click to enlarge]
La Veranada opened for business recently in Sandy Ground and we went to the unofficial opening, where proprietors Anastasia ("Stacey") and Didier Rochet toasted us with champagne. Stacey grew up in St Kitts and Anguilla and her husband Didier is a highly successful chef from France.

The prices are low for Anguilla and the quality is high. Even though chef Didier is a trained French chef and has worked at Malliouhana and Cinammon Reef, this is not nouveau cuisine -- the portions are generous. From personal experience I can recommend the Mango Gazpacho Soup $6, and the Curry Chicken Pot Pie $16, which has a light French Provencal crust and assorted condiments for dipping. They also have my favorite dessert, Creme Brulee $7, rich and creamy with a nice ginger flavor.
[Click to enlarge]

The setting itself creates a unique ambience, with open dining verandas on all four sides and a high pitched center roof enclosing a Tapas bar/lounge area. The surrounding gardens are already lush and green -- every table has a view over the balcony into the garden. The lounge has congenial sitting areas and comfortable seating, with an antique glass chandelier from St Kitts.

La Veranda is a family venture. Stacey is the hostess, Didier is the chef, mother Denise organizes the back office, and Jerry Brown (Denise's husband, who runs the Anguilla Garden Center next door) does the landscaping Even the children helped out, working furiously to get La Veranda opened before the tourist high season is over.

Telephone: 1-264-497-2225. Open every day. Future plans include lunch, and breakfast.

Directions: From the airport parking lot, take the only exit and turn left, then left again and drive back past the airport. Go straight through the roundabout and west down the main road. Turn right at the next roundabout and drive down toward Sandy Ground. Partway down the hill, turn right at the sign for La Veranda restaurant.

[Click to enlarge] [Click to enlarge]

Flash Is Missing!

[Click to enlarge] Have You See This Puppy? Last seen Sunday March 7, 1999 at approximately 3:00 pm in the area of Upper Shoal Bay. he answers to the name of Flash. He was wearing a blue and white flea collar when he disappeared from home.

Please call Sam Mason at 497-5217 if you have any information which would help him find his way home!

What's Happening

Translations. This issue of the Anguilla Local News is also available in Italian (translated by Gaetano Di Palo) and in German (translated by Hans Krähenbühl).

Existing Government Re-elected. The incumbents were re-elected in all seven districts and reformed the same coalition government with Hubert Hughes as Chief Minister. Read all about the voting on the elections.ai web site, created by Griffin Webster and Wycliffe Richardson.

Editorial Policy

The Anguilla Local News publishes information about what is happening in Anguilla. We do not accept advertising and do not charge for stories.

We welcome submission of press releases, announcements, story ideas, even guest articles, but we reserve the right to select what we think is of interest to our readers and to condense, expand, or edit stories.

Appropriate topics are tourism, beaches, local culture, nature, sports, schools, clubs, shopping, boating, fishing, events, music, art and, of course, food.

Bob Green
Anguilla Local News
Box 931
The Valley
Fax: 1-264-497-3295
Email: [email protected]

Weather in Anguilla

Weather Summary Anguilla
Today: 81F 27C 63% Humidity, Partly sunny March 15
Low temp since last news report 66F 18C
High temp since last news report 81F 27C
Low humidity since last news report 52%
Tropical storm web site Link
Five-day weather forecast Link

The weather has been warm, clear, and dry for the last two weeks. Although the tourists love this, the gardens are drying up and looking unhappy!

Upcoming Events in Anguilla

[Click to enlarge]

The Anguilla Local News has an Calendar for the year showing events, holidays, and activities.

Saturday, March 20, 1999 from 5:30 to 7:30pm, the Devonish Gallery is having an opening reception for "Essential Anguilla", an exhibition of oil paintings by Shari Erickson. The work here is Not Yet Noon, Copyright Shari Erickson.

Other events in the next two weeks include: Mar 21. 11am. Second annual Optimists Triathalon Relay Extravaganza. Swim, run, bicycle. Call 497-2369 to enter a 3-person team. There are both serious and fun categories.

Mar 25-28. Moonsplash 99. The Bacon Brothers headline The Dune. Rendezvous Bay. Tickets are $15 in advance, $20 at the gate for each night, or $30 in advance for both Friday and Saturday. Sunday admission is free for everyone. For more information, email [email protected] or telephone 616-785-8383.

Mar 31. Deadline to register for Summer Art Festival Competition and Workshops. Web Site.

Updates and Feedback

Back Issues and Translations. The previous March 1st issue is now available in Italian (translated by Gaetano Di Palo) and in German (translated by Hans Krähenbühl). Every issue of the Anguilla news since Sep95 is available on this web site. To browse by date and language, click here.

Update on Allamanda Beach Club. This small popular resort on upper Shoal Bay now has a beach cafe: Zara's Beach Bar, which is located next to Shoal Bay Scuba & Watersports (they have a new dive boat, but more on that in a later issue). The low season is just about upon us and Allamanda's rates for April 15th to December 14, 1999 drop significantly, and if you stay 6 nights, the 7th is free. Apartments, all with kitchen, range from $85 to $162, but Allamanda's summer special includes the 18% service and tax, so the actual rates are $72 to $137. And they have installed air conditioning. Telephone: 1-264-497-5217. Email to Ava in the office at [email protected] or [email protected] in the USA. Web site: www.allamanda.ai

Update on Roadwell Cafe. This gallery, coffee bar and cafe now serves lunch. As usual, I volunteered to investigate. Two very nice bageutte sandwiches, with a glass of wine and iced tea were US $12.50.

Feedback on Fishing.